- Electric Vehicle Charging in Apartment Buildings
- Beginner’s Guide to Installing EV Charging Stations at Your Apartment Complex
- How to Charge an Electric Car at Your Apartment?
- The Challenges Are Many
- Charging Electric Car at Apartment
- Ask Your Landlord to Install an EV Charging Station
- The Benefits of Installing Commercial EV Charging Stations at Apartments
- Consider Your Charging Options Before Buying an EV
- What Does The Apartment Gain From Having Charging Stations?
- Have the vehicle parked and turned off.
- Connect the vehicle to one of the electric car charging stations for apartments.
- Start the charging process and wait until the vehicle is charged.
- End the charging process via the app or inside the dashboard of the vehicle.
- Remove the plug and use your vehicle.
- Buildings with restricted electrical infrastructures.
- Small capacity service panels are located in the parking station area.
- Apartment building councils refuse to install or allow the installation of apartment EV chargers.
- Agreements between tenants and property owners on the installation of EV charging stations in apartments.
- Fast internet connection in underground parking station areas.
- EV parking arrangements: Private or shared?
- Funding for the project.
- Negotiating with landlords and/or building board.
- Installing chargers in already-built apartment buildings with underground parking can be difficult.
- As can be seen, several issues can arise when thinking of electric car charging in apartments, but this does not mean it is impossible. The following section illustrates several alternative solutions that can give you a chance to charge your EV, even if you are limited by one of these challenges.
Find a Supercharging Station Located Near YouOne solution for EV apartment charging is finding a DC Fast Charger (DCFC) station or supercharging station near your home. You can charge your EV in around 1 hour at these locations. To find the nearest DCFC Station you can install EV Charging Station Finder apps like OpenChargeMap, ChargeMap, Electrify America, Chargeway, PlugShare, or ChargeHub.
Charge at Your OfficeAnother alternative to EV charging at your apartment is charging the vehicle at your workplace instead. Many office buildings are joining the e-Mobility revolution by installing EV charging Stations at the workplace, these feature Level 2 EV Chargers and can fully charge EV batteries in around 4 to 10 hours. If your workplace does not feature EV Charging Stations, you can be the force of change and promote the idea.
Run a Heavy-Duty Extension Cord from Your Apartment to Your CarDesperate situations require desperate measures, but it is important to always be careful. Running a heavy-duty extension cord from your apartment to your EV might be an alternative solution for EV charging in apartment buildings. However, you must keep in mind that this could only be applied in low-rise buildings or buildings with just a few stories (3 or 4 maybe). This would also need to be confirmed with the corresponding apartment building board for permission. Technically, you can do this for Level 1 EV Chargers with 120V outlets or a 240V connection with a Level 2 residential charger, but this is not always recommended. Using an extension cord to charge an EV increases the risks of electric shocks and electrical fires, on top of increasing the chance of voltage drops, which can reduce the performance or even endanger the EV charger equipment.
Look For Apartments with EV ChargingMoving to an apartment with EV charging is a sweet solution to your problems. Forward-thinking apartment councils have installed EV Charging Stations at the parking garage to suit the needs of current and future EV owners in the building or are currently planning on doing so. Apartments with charging stations are more attractive to tenants. These buildings can become more attractive since they provide an elegant and futuristic look to the complex while at the same time sending a message that people living there are concerned about the environment.
- Who pays for the investment? Is it profitable?
- How is EV charging scheduled?
- Is the branding of the building suited for EV charging?
Attract Established and Highly Educated TenantsA great benefit of installing electric car charging for apartments is the possibility to attract the right type of tenants that elevate the reputation of the building and the rent price. EV owners are more economically affluent and tend to be better educated, attracting tenants with these features as a result of installing electric car charging in an apartment building can succeed whether you are trying to attract a more sophisticated public to your building or to increase the price of rent for profits.
Keep Tenants LongerJust like the quality of the tenants in your building can increase thanks to electric car charging in apartments, so does the time they remain there. This increased tenant retention is the result of only a limited number of buildings offering charging electric cars in apartments at the moment, this can financially benefit building owners since it is cheaper to renew a lease than to sign new tenants.
Earn Incentives from Your StateOne of the most important benefits achieved by installing electric car charging stations in apartments is the passive income for building owners. It is estimated that a single EV charger in 2023 can make on average a little less than $2,000, however, by 2027 a single EV charger will be making around $2,800, meaning the passive income of the building will increase as the years go by.
Make the Most of Your Investment in EV Charging StationsApartment buildings with EV charging stand out from the rest by offering one of the most coveted and beneficial features available. The exclusive amenity of electric car charging at apartments will surely improve the reputation of a building, generating a more prestigious air to it and adding the possibility of increasing rent with no repercussions, since tenants are more lenient to spend extra money on the feature.
Determine Your Current Tenants’ NeedsThe current tenants of a building are the first ones that will use and experiment with the EV charging station in an apartment building, which is why building owners should consider their needs first. This includes the type of vehicle they have, the required charger plug, the power required to fully charge the battery in a few hours, and the available budget for EV charging. Working with current tenants ensures future tenants are more attracted to your apartment building, increasing the success of this project.
Promote Your Charging StationsTo ensure current and potential tenants learn about the possibility of EV apartment charging in your building, you should promote the feature. Promoting apartments with EV charging can be the game changer to attract more and better tenants, but also to increase profits and retain current tenants.
Make a Plan to Generate RevenueWhen installing electric vehicle charging in apartment buildings, building owners should optimize profit by setting the right plan. This plan includes determining a billing system for EV charging for apartments (per usage or monthly bill), charging type (per kWh or session), and figuring out any other detail. If possible you should also determine a fair cost to charge vehicles in the building, since some tenants might be lenient to pay extra, but charging too much may scare them away.
Offset Costs with Energy ManagementSome building owners may complicate themselves with the details, but electric vehicle charging in apartments is designed to be easy and simple. The whole process can be operated and optimized with energy management software, granting building owners full control over the EV charging station at all times, providing the right logistics, and improving power usage for each charger. Tools such as the EVMC make it easy to manage multiple EV chargers at the same time and optimize costs.
- Tenants are more prone to rent expensive apartments if they have the possibility of charging an electric car at an apartment.
- Buildings with EV Charging stations have a better brand (reputation) and prestige.
- Apartments with electric car charging make regular revenue from EVs electricity consumption.
- Apartment buildings with EV Charging Stations are prepared for a future where e-Mobility becomes the preferred choice in America.
CSE1 EV charger on pedestal
CSE1 EV Charger, wall mount
CSE1 Dual EV charging station
Nick Zamanov is a head of sales and business development at Cyber Switching. He is an expert in EV infrastructure space and he is an EV enthusiast since 2012, Since then Nick strongly believed that electric vehicles would eventually replace Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) cars.