Best EV Charging Stations for Hotels
EV Charging Solutions
Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station for Hotels
Competitiveness in the hospitality industry is very high. To stay relevant, your business needs to constantly come up with ideas and extra benefits that can be offered to potential customers who look for something extra during their business trip or their family vacations.
Adding EV charging for hotels is a good way to do this since many customers will potentially have an electric vehicle or may be looking to rent an EV in that location as well. Moreover, hotels that are located in distant areas such as mountains or private beaches will definitely want to be thinking of enabling a hotel charging station. Customers who own an electric vehicle may disengage from staying in the hotel by learning that there is no EV charging station, even though they like the hotel amenities, location, and prices.
Some booking websites are already adding EV charging filters to their search engines, which means your hotel, could be dropped out of the selection. Many hotel chains such as Holiday Inn, Hilton, Marriot, Hyatt, IHG, and Radisson already have or are planning to install hotel charging stations in the near future.
If you want to stay ahead of the competition, getting a set of Level 2 CSE1 charging stations is the best solution for you. Equipped with OCPP, the CSE1 charging station allows your customers to easily charge their EVs and monitor their charging status remotely while having multiple payment methods available.
What to Consider
When selecting an EV charging station for your hotel, there are several important considerations to keep in mind, including:
- Payment options: Make sure the EV charging station you choose for your hotel offers an option for guests to pay for the electricity they use. This is especially important since the electricity can be expensive and the growing number of electric vehicles on the road could significantly increase your utility bills.
- RFID card support: Guests should be able to use their room keys to access the EV charging station. This makes it more convenient for them and provides an additional level of security.
- Charging speed: Guests want their electric vehicles to be fully charged overnight, so it’s important to choose an EV charging station for hotel that can deliver as much power as possible through the J1772 charging port. Keep in mind that Level-3 charging, while faster, may not be the best option.
- Centralized management: Look for an EV charging station that allows you to manage and monitor all of your stations through a unified portal. This makes it easier to keep track of usage and make adjustments as needed.
- Load management support: The number of electric vehicles on the road is expected to grow exponentially over the next five years, so you may need to increase the number of your EV charging stations. Look for stations that offer load management support to ensure that you can scale up as needed.
Perks of EV Charging station for your Hotel
Why should I choose a hotel with EV charging stations?
EV charging stations provide a convenient and hassle-free way for guests with electric vehicles to keep their cars charged during their stay. Choosing a hotel with EV charging stations also demonstrates the hotel’s commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility.
How many charging stations do most hotels have?
The number of charging stations at each hotel can vary, depending on the size of the property and the demand for charging. Some hotels may have a single charging station, while others may have multiple stations to accommodate more guests.
How long does it take to charge an electric vehicle at a hotel charging station?
The charging time can vary depending on the type of vehicle and the charging station. Most charging stations provide a charge of 20-40 miles per hour, so a full charge could take anywhere from a few hours to overnight.
Do I need to pay for the use of a hotel charging station?
The cost of using a hotel charging station can vary depending on the hotel’s policies. Some hotels offer charging as a complimentary service, while others may charge a fee. Check with the hotel before booking to see what their charging policy is.
Can I use a hotel charging station even if I'm not a guest at the hotel?
It depends on the hotel’s policies. Some hotels may allow non-guests to use their charging stations for a fee, while others may only allow guests to use them. Check with the hotel before arriving to see if they allow non-guest charging.
What types of electric vehicles can use hotel charging stations?
Most hotel charging stations can accommodate all types of electric vehicles, including battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
How do I know if a hotel has EV charging stations?
Check the hotel’s website or call their front desk to inquire about their charging station options. You can also search for hotels with EV charging stations on travel booking websites or EV charging station locator websites.
Is the CSE1 Rated to Be Installed Outdoors?
Yes, the CSE1 charging station is an ETL-listed equipment with a Type 3 enclosure that is rated to work indoors or outdoors. This means it is rated to prevent dirt and dust from entering inside the equipment and is also protected against rain, snow, or sleet.
How Can Hotels Charge for the EV Charging Station?
Several alternatives have been implemented. The most common one is that the hotel assigns an electricity rate for the EV charger. Customers just need to connect, select their desired payment method and start charging the EV.
Other hotels have chosen to include a flat rate per day for reservations in bedrooms with access to the EV charger, while others simply choose to provide this as a valuable amenity to bring in customers, free of charge.